| || || |
A great investment
Throughout this website you will find useful information, links to products and a range of ideas which could compliment your backyard patio. In addition to ideas and tips on furniture and accessories, there are several pages dedicated to designing and building a patio. We also have lots of pictures which you may be able to use for inspiration! Please read on for more information about a backyard patio, or navigate around the site via our Index page for details on patio chairs, tables, seats, benches, covers, umbrellas, lighting, water features and much, much more!
Backyard Patio Ideas
- Information and tips about a backyard patio!
- Find out about the huge range of products for the patio garden
- Patio garden designs and ideas
- DIY on a budget! Backyard patio products and accessories
- Stone, brick, concrete - materials can be used in your backyard patio
- Find suitable furniture for your patio gardens
Things to consider / TIPS
- Size - How big will your backyard patio be? If space isn’t an issue, what do you plan on having there? Measure out for furniture, BBQs, pots, containers, plants, ornaments and any other backyard accessories.
- Shape - Why stick to straight lines when you can curve the backyard patio to compliment the natural surrounding. Your backyard patio doesn’t need to look rigid – it could blend in with the shapes of your lawn, passing streams, trees, shrubs or flower beds. Make it look natural.
- Colour - You are no longer limited to boring shades of grey. You can add reflective materials in concrete, add terracotta’s or get natural stone. You may wish to make the backyard patio as natural as the landscape that surrounds you or you may wish to match the colour of the building so it appears like a natural extension of the home. It’s all possible!
- Material - Choose a material that is going to last and suit your climate. Having a robust and strong material for your backyard patio will prevent problems in the future.
- Maintenance - Will the backyard patio need cleaning and how often? The least amount of future maintenance that’s needed, the better.
- Surroundings - You may wish to use the natural landscape as inspiration for your design. Making the patio fit in with the rest of the backyard may improve the aesthetics.
- Drainage - Always ensure that you have adequate drainage for your backyard patio. You do not want puddles of water when it rains, nor water being directed towards the home.
- Choose a reputable company - It may not be the case everywhere in the world, but many areas experience poor workmanship and ‘cowboys’ when it comes to backyard patio installation. Ensure you are employing a reputable company with a proven track record. This should hopefully prevent the backyard patio sinking or falling apart in years to come.
- The weather - When laying the backyard patio, ensure the weather and climate is suitable so the materials aren’t adversely affected. Too hot or too cold may mean that certain materials will crack or not set properly.
- Cost - Cost is always a major factor for most of us. However, a backyard patio is a future investment, so do not go for the cheapest option because it’s the cheapest option. You want your backyard patio to last for many years and for it to look good. By spending out a little bit more, you may come to appreciate it further down the line.
Placement and Strength
A backyard patio not only makes your property look great, it could also add monetary value, reduce ground maintenance (such as mowing or weeding) and provide a perfect place to sit, socialise and relax. Many people choose to build their backyard patio in an area that captures the best of the sunshine and easily accessible from the home, however others may have theirs away from the home and in an area that offers the best views. Whichever place you choose to have your backyard patio, it is essential that it’s built properly and on strong foundations.
Who can build it?
A backyard patio can be homemade (DIY) or you could choose to pay for contractors to do it for you. There are so many backyard patio tutorials on the internet that if you have enough time on your hands, and can afford the materials, there’s no reason why you couldn’t achieve making your own backyard patio. Please visit our building a patio page for tips and ideas. Alternatively, there are so many companies that can help you design the plans and build a backyard patio that the hard work and stress of it can be passed to someone else. Plus, if there are any issues down the line, you have someone to call and fix it! Make sure you get some kind of guarantee in writing.
There are so many different types of backyard patio that researching and planning can be really enjoyable. Materials you could consider using may include concrete, tarmac, brick, block-paving, real stone, tiles and all sorts of rocks and pebbles. Both concrete and tarmac backyard patios can be personalised with colour and additional materials to give them different finishes. They can also be brightened up by a simple brick or stone border. Block-paving may be slightly more expensive and real stone and tiles even more so. The different types of backyard patio will range in price - not only for the materials, but also for the labour costs (certainly if they require specialized skills). There are many things to bear in mind when choosing the material, some of which are mentioned below.
The more trickier and complex of materials should be left to the experts to install. How long this will take will depend on the size and location of the backyard patio. Clear access to the backyard patio area will make the job so much easier, as will nearby running water and electricity. Building a backyard patio with only access through the home causes a lot of mess and often damage to doorways by carrying and wheel-barrowing heavy materials through. If you have exterior access it makes it so much easier! Preparation is key when it comes to your backyard patio. You will want to ensure that the whole area is appropriately cleared of vegetation, the foundations are strong and not likely to sink and the weather is appropriate for the materials you are using.
Thousands of people search to find ideas for their backyard and inspiration for their garden. Build a piece of paradise on your own door step! We hope that you have found this website a useful guide to backyard patios, products and designs. You will find that this website is a great resource, whether you are looking to design or build backyard patios or simply purchase some products and accessories. Both men and women young and old love to create their own gardens, grow their own plants and have a place to relax and entertain friends. Use the backyard to design your own personal piece of tranquillity, sit back and relax!
| || |